Prototype City showcases a range of interactive exhibitions and experiences in various locations around the city – a real life ‘choose your own adventure,’ if you will! Many of the exhibitions are located at one of our four MKW Hubs, but there are others dotted around in key outdoor areas. You can see the full details by checking the event pages below.
During MKW21 you can download a handy walking map that connects our four hubs and Prototype City activities to you. Plus, this year we have a range of walking tours, some hosted and some self-guided. So get on the front foot and explore some lesser-known ways that our city is staying at the cutting-edge of technology.
From augmented reality apps that help you see our city through a new lens, to discovering ways we can all be more water-wise, Prototype City has a range of experiences guaranteed to spark your imagination.
- The coolest route: a self-guided adventure to help you stay cool during MKW
- Data in the park: a tour of Argyle Square introducing you to emerging tech
- Through the eyes of a engineer: a guided tour with engineering experts visiting some key engineering marvels
- Concrete architecture, revolutionised: the future of architecture will be low-carbon concrete, curvy and zero-waste – check it out in this installation
- Turning tyres into roads: find out how engineering researchers are turning unwanted old tyres into roads, footpaths and bike paths
- 64 Ways of Being: explore Melbourne through new eyes as laneways, streets, parks and rivers transform into live, playable experiences
- Meet Pivot: the semi-intelligent see-saw: take a ride on this see-saw, and chat with it and each other about the challenges that face us
- Watch the watcher: learn how surveillance is used in our public spaces on this walking tour
- Prototype to product: an interactive exhibition showcasing a selection of Melbourne’s most intriguing hardware startups
- Meet a humanoid robot: What role should humanoid robots play in our future cities and how should governments oversee them?